Love Love Love

Love Love Love

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Anything unattempted remains impossible

Mentioning challenges last week sparked interest so I’ll detail what some of mine are; firstly the language! Hindi is complicated. I sit amongst friends and my Indian family listening intently trying to pick up on the conversation, occasionally I comprehend enough words I can follow along but just when I think I have a grasp on the language I’m put into a situation where I don’t recognize a single word that is being uttered and when someone translates for me, my guess is off by a mile.
Being in an inter-cultural relationship in an area where it is virtually unheard of is another challenge; it’s not like Canada where it is accepted by most, here it is judged by most. We have the support of those that matter and fortunately combined with our faith in God’s will we can handle the naysayers. I think about the people in the West who have paved the way and I know my situation is nowhere near as hard as what others have suffered in the face of discrimination, so I smile knowing I am shedding light on outdated mindsets amid ignorance not hatred.
Rickshaw drivers and shopkeepers alike are always increasing their prices when they see me, even if I am with a local. I’ve  reprogrammed myself to think in rupees instead of dollars so I don’t waste money, luckily I have people teaching me what locals pay so I can try to get close to this price, it’s a constant battle and one that is not likely to end anytime soon.
Learning customs and cultural acceptances, I find myself nervous I’ll offend someone unwittingly but one of my Indian ‘bhabis’ (partners sister in law) explained I have no reason to stress. No one expects me to know exactly what to do and everyone is eager to teach me. There are certain customs which must be accepted if I am to truly live as Indians do; wearing traditional clothing, touching the feet of elders in an effort to obtain their blessings and many others but so far all feel very natural for me.
I also feel India’s challenge as a whole; it’s being bombarded by western materialism and the country is doing its best to keep Indian culture alive. New videos regularly that showcase alcohol and promiscuous behavior; the content of the majority of the latest Bollywood movies are shallow and lack dignity. There is a certain innocence I can see slipping away, virtues that disappeared decades ago in the West still have a pulse here and it’s my hope that children see me as an example of true western feminine mindset, someone who is strong, educated and loving. Independent yet connected to needs, showing them that the core values of faith in God, love for self, service to others and family bonds (blood or not) are what make a truly happy life. I pray I can be a beacon, by continuing on my path, learning to encompass the best of both worlds…

No comments: