Love Love Love

Love Love Love

Thursday, June 2, 2011

“Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.” ~ Cicero

When I asked my friends what they would like to know more about in regards to my life in India one asked what my spiritual practices were and it really made me think. I realized my life has become spiritual. For me there is nothing special or out of the ordinary that I do each day, I simply try to go about my daily life conscious and connected to God self.

That being said I will talk about some of the ‘practices’ I have adopted over the years that are part of my routine. One I learnt from author Loretta LaRoche; each morning when she opens her eyes she yells out a cheer “Waahooo, I made it! I have another day.” I take a moment when I place my feet on the floor getting out of bed, I look around and really let it sink in that I have been blessed with another day, I pull energy from the four directions, connect to source energy through my crown, plant my feet feeling earth, and bring it all to my heart center.

I check in with my body each day, connecting to each body part feeling for any disturbance in prana (energy flow.) I try to do something physical; workout, go for a walk, or pull out my yoga mat for an asana practice, whatever my body calls for I let my muscles guide me into what they need.

For Hindu’s bathing is a ritual. Daily one must cleanse their outer and inner body. So when I shower I am aware of the waters purifying presence and ability to wash away all that ails. For inner cleansing meditation is key, I find time each day to go into the stillness, five minutes or an hour, whatever I have time for is exactly what is needed. I also believe the goal of meditation is to be in control or at least aware of our thoughts. So throughout my day I constantly check in to make sure my thoughts are manifesting the world I want to live in, if my thoughts have gone in a direction I don’t like and I can’t seem to reel them in, I recite mantras.

I make a point to listen to Bhajan (devotional music) and read inspirational books; even my facebook feed is filled with people whose statuses nourish my soul.

I pray. I either go to a temple, our home’s deity or simply close my eyes and connect to source energy. I ask for guidance and continued growth, I pray for my heart to grow in love and faith and I always end my prayers asking how I can be of service on this day.

I’m sure there’s more I’m simply not recognizing but one of the simplest methods that I believed changed my life substantially is taking a minute each night and writing down five things I am grateful for. It is an easy way to bring more love and abundance into one’s life.

No comments: