Love Love Love

Love Love Love

Friday, April 8, 2011

"Love so vast, love the sky cannot contain, How does all this fit within my heart?" - Rumi

This week we got married in a traditional Hindu ceremony. Although the experience in itself was foreign to my Christian-Judeo society upbringing there was a familiarity throughout. One of my favorite things about a Hindu wedding is that the bride and groom arrive at the altar as God and Goddess, in human form. The recognition of God self is a core value in the Hindu faith.
There were many rites involved, too many to fit in this blog but I will highlight a few; we greeted each other by placing flower garlands around each other’s neck, this is done in acceptance of one another. We then sat cross legged on the floor as the Pandit (Priest) lit a sacred fire in front of us. We made offerings to the fire (which represents God) while he recited prayers, we committed to one another and our spiritual growth as a couple. My partners sister placed sacred cloth over my shoulders and one over his; tying the two in a marriage knot. With my foot asleep we were asked to stand, my right foot was completely numb; it felt like nothing existed from the knee down. Feeling unstable I shifted my weight to my left.
We were instructed to take seven steps and I wasn’t sure if my right foot could bare my weight, I questioned how I was going to stand on a “nonexistent” foot but when my partner took my right hand in his I felt assured he would catch me if I fell, telling my brain my foot was there I realized this was symbolic of all major life decisions and trusted the feeling in my heart, I was nervous of losing my balance but deep down I knew it was safe to take the step.
We circled the fire seven times to represent seven lifetimes we were committing to one another. The seven blessings that were bestowed as we walked included; May this couple be blessed with an abundance of resources and comforts, May this couple be strong and complement each other, May this couple be blessed with prosperity and riches on all levels, May this couple be eternally happy, May this couple be blessed with a happy family, May this couple live in perfect harmony, true to their personal values, May this couple always be the best of friends.
My partner then recited these vows to me in Hindi:
 “We have taken the seven steps. You have become mine forever. We have become partners. I have become yours. Hereafter I cannot live without you. Do not live without me. Let us share the joys. We are word and meaning, united. You are thought I am sound. May life be honey-sweet for us. As the heavens are stable, as the earth is stable, as the mountains are stable, as the whole universe is stable, so may our union be permanently settled.”
My soul is not only home, the longing has finally settled…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations for the hundredth time Angie & Gopal!

Angie, I have known your beautiful soul for almost 30 years and to know it is "settled" brightens my heart as sweet as I am sure you can imagine. I know many whom don't know your soul as I do, simply do not understand all of "this". I know this from the large number of ignorant questions I get on a daily basis - many closed minded, other curious and most just simply not as brave as you babe!

In 27 years you have never let me down and this decision you have made to continue your journey in India with Gopal is no different. I admire your courage to close your hears to societal pressures and listen completely to your heart and to your soul. I hope all who know you and even those you don't - use this blog and your life as inspiration to live theirs as their heart and soul tells them to!

I love you with all of my heart and soul Angie!

Suzanne xoxo

Anonymous said...

This was such a beautiful description and made me realise that if a couple really follows the vows,the marriage can be the best relationship ever.

Your interpretation about the numb foot was really awesome especially since I remember being advised by an aunt to twitch my foot on and off so it would not 'go to sleep' before the pheras. Ah well!