Love Love Love

Love Love Love

Sunday, February 1, 2015

A list of things I love about living in India...5 ~ Co-sleeping

Next on list is of What I love about living in India is...

Co-sleeping



I love that it is the cultural norm. I can remember decades ago one of my Canadian family members opting to co-sleep and the judgment that was passed based purely on ignorance, I now think I understand what they were trying to accomplish!

My daughter was born in India and they just put her in the bed beside me, there was no other bed brought in for her. It was accepted and expected that she would sleep beside me. My son who was born prematurely in Canada was given his own bed when he was finally released to my room. And although from day one I was encouraged by the doctors and nurses to cuddle and even nap while seated together they were not impressed by my choice to co-sleep.

There is still much debate and I've heard it all and of course the biggest concern is suffocation when a parent rolls over onto the child, but nowhere in my research have I ever encountered a mother or father doing this, unless of course there were drugs or intoxicants involved. SIDS is another factor but interestingly India has one of the lowest numbers of SIDS internationally according to the world health organization.

Some articles claim it breeds dependence and narcissistic tendencies which may or may not have merit. I can admit that the members of my Indian family do not seem as independent as the members of my Canadian clan but India culturally is different that way. Sons do not often move out of the home and when they marry their wives move into the family unit to help take care of the elder members. Daughters marry and move in with their spouses.

I read in a book once and for the life of me cannot recall the name of it about the stages of development in chakras there are also many sites here on the internet that discuss it as well but basically the first seven years of a persons life involve the development of the root chakra which is our base. Our security. In the ancient text that I read it explained the importance of keeping our infants close so they know they are always safe. Many of the imbalances we have in the west are attributed to an imbalance in this chakra. While Indians, although not without their own issues, are among some of the most grounded people I have encountered. It is one of the comments I get regularly about my children when we are back in Canada "your children are so grounded."

I don't know if it's right or wrong but what I do know is I love having my babies next to me, I love listening to them breath and hearing them giggle in their sleep, I love being able to watch them and the random snuggles. It feels right for me and being instantly available for them if they need me for any reason throughout the night is a gift I can offer in hopes it will make them into the secure little beings I am trying to raise.






Another post is on it's way in this series so stay tuned!



No comments: