Love Love Love

Love Love Love

Thursday, February 5, 2015

A list of things I love about living in India...6 ~ Suits and Sari's

Next in my series on what I love about living in India is...

Suits and Sari's

The simplicity and elegance of the sari and comfort and ease of the suit take the stress out of fashion for me. Years in and I'm really just coming into my own sense of style. When I made the decision to marry a traditional Indian boy I also agreed to go all in, which meant covering myself in non sexy Indian garb. My husband is of the old school thought that my body should only been adored by him and like many men in his culture the thought of another man coveting his wife is not something he can take in stride. 


After marriage I was to wear only sari's for the first few weeks, my mother in laws rules. I got off easy my oldest Sister in Law had to wear a sari every day for one year! But hubby said enough was enough and while in the home I could convert to wearing suits and only during outings for the first six  months I was to wear a sari. Part of me resisted of course, no Canadian girl is going to like being told what I can and cannot wear but then I realized I loved this man, and it didn't matter what I had on, heck it's not like he was asking me to wear a burqa and truth be told I love him enough that I would! Once I surrendered it was actually nice, I always feel so feminine wrapped in this beautiful timeless fabric.




My husband admitted the first time he saw me in a sari he wanted to marry me on the spot. I can say the same, when I saw him in a traditional India suit for the first time, my heart skipped a beat, it was like looking at eternal love itself.













Suits can be ready made or purchased as material pieces then sewn together by a tailor to your specifications. My tastes and requirements have changed over the years. There are fancy party suits which I have yet to purchase, I still opt for a sari when we are heading out to any special functions but for everyday suits it can feel like you are sitting around in your pajama's all day, and that can make any girl, especially a Mom chasing two toddlers quite happy!






Stay tuned for the next installment in my series "What I love about living in India"


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking gorgeous! Love the turquoise one...