Love Love Love

Love Love Love

Saturday, May 14, 2011

God is Love & Love is God

I never understood the belief that there was only one true path to God. For me God is love and love is God. The beauty in the Hindu faith is the recognition that there are many different paths but all lead to the same place. The philosophy is that God has had to take on many different forms in order to appeal to the different mindsets of mankind. Not everyone thinks alike so each individual person will gravitate towards what feels right for them. Hindu’s accept Allah, Jesus, Buddha and of course of thousands of Gods and Goddesses within their faith knowing that they all lead to the same omnipresent source.
Here in Vrindaban it is the playground of Lord Krishna. In the west when we hear the name Krishna our minds instantly go to bald headed, tambourine shaking, “Hare Krishna’s.”  Those are members of a following known as ISKCON (International Society of Krishna Consciousness). Assuming that anyone who worships Krishna is a ‘Hare Krishna’ is like saying anyone who believes in Jesus is a born again Christian. It is but a small part of the Krishna faith.
My first experience with Krishna was in BC; I could hear tambourines and chanting, looking out my window and saw a group of people dressed in saffron robes dancing in the street, my friends laughed but I smiled but for a different reason, the tune they were singing “Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare… “was making my heart tingle. That night I inquired about these people I had seen, I was told they were a cult and to steer clear.
A few months later I was approached on the street by a normal looking dude who he asked me for a donation towards a meal program to feed the many homeless, being a starving student I joked I might need to join him for a meal, he handed me a card looking deep into my eyes and told me “I was welcome anytime” his authenticity pierced my soul, when I looked at the card once again I saw Krishna’s name.
I’ve never been interested in getting involved with any particular faith; I’m not one for strict rules. But once again years later, little did I know I was still being beckoned by Krishna’s flute and promise of unconditional love. I didn’t know Vrindaban was famous for Krishna’s pastimes until I arrived. My first temple experience coincidently was ISKCON and as Krishna’s form was revealed tears streamed down my cheeks, I thought this must be what some people feel when they go to church. I had longed for this type of connection and here it was I was overwhelmed with love.
I will never be a ‘devotee’ one particular faith is to limiting but living in this auspicious town I am fortunate to have over 5000 temples to choose from daily , where I get to sit, filling my heart and soul, basking in the glory of devotional love.

No comments: