Love Love Love

Love Love Love

Sunday, January 25, 2015

A list of things I love about living in India...3 ~ Animals

Next on the list is Animals!

I wrote about the animal world here in my small town years ago you can find the post by clicking here.

Things haven't changed much since that post, I still love to watch the animals in my neighborhood and today I'll share some photos of my favorite critters;

The image of a cow is synonymous with India largely impart because it is one of the only places in the world cows roam the streets. This white one here on the left comes to our spiritual guesthouse daily for food.

The cow is considered Holy in India because we go from our Mothers milk to the cows milk, Hindus therefore accept that she is a version of Goddess (male cows work the fields traditionally like a father so he too is to be treated with the utmost respect).





This brown one here pictured on the right comes to our joint family home each day waiting for scraps. I asked once about the 'turbans' some cows adorn and was informed one type of cloth is put on in the winter to help keep them warm and a lighter cloth is tied on in the summer to keep them cool.

We also have a this little dog who was born last year, is the cutest little street dog, beyond smart and filled with so much love. We named him Precious because of his incredible nature and make a point to keep his favorite biscuits in stock at all times.













I love when friends come to visit and comment on how healthy the animals look here verses other parts of India. I don't know if its because we still have that small town vibe or if its the fact that we are a Holy town and within that comes the acknowledgement that God is always present and can show up in any form. Either way it always warms my heart when I look up my street and see people feeding and sometimes even clothing the animals.

Goats seem particularly susceptible to the colder days we are experiencing in this season and almost all have shirts on, I can't help but smile every time I see one, the one here in the pink on the left looks like he showing off his new duds!














Camels walking up the street still excite my kids and me too to be honest, they just have such a swagger about them. Many of streets are so small cars and trucks can't drive on them so a lot of work is done still using Camels, Bulls and even Water Buffalo.








Then of course there are the pigs which I personally find adorable although many Indians just find them dirty. There are occasional snakes, rabbits and cats. Plus the squirrels which remind me of something from the movie "Ice Age" are everywhere in our courtyard.














The birds may be my absolute favorite from the majestic beauty of the peacocks to the songs of the parrots I could literally spend hours in memorized by their beauty.














Now one can't talk about animals in our town without mentioning the monkey mafia!



The rhesus monkeys are notorious in our corner of the world, sunglasses, bags, nothing is off limits for these thieves, and while I've had my share of fights with them something changed for me this year. I began to understand their desperation, their habitat is being destroyed rapidly and the only reason they are pesky is in their 'hunt' for food,

They are hungry and I'm sure would much rather be picking the lush trees that not to long ago made up this part of India. Now they are living in a concrete jungle competing with the growing population for survival,

I don't intend on adopting one any time soon and will support projects that are helping to control their population in a humane way, but I have to admit, they are growing on me, and sometimes can be pretty darn cute, but don't ever tell them I said so!
















Still lots more to come in my "What I love about India" series, don't forget to subscribe so you never miss a post!






No comments: