Love Love Love

Love Love Love

Friday, April 15, 2011

The Monkey Mafia

The other day we met friends at Radha Damodar temple, it was my first time visiting this temple and once again I was inspired by the beauty and moved by the Arti (worship done with music) it is custom to do a parikrama (walk encircling the temple) afterwards. While the four of us walked signs everywhere warned “Beware of the Monkeys”.
Reese monkeys are a common sight and nuisance in Vrindaban. My first encounter with them was with a friend, after doing some shopping, a rather mean looking monkey approached and bared his teeth. We were paralyzed with fear, it lunged towards her and she threw the bag she was carrying at him. He eagerly looked inside finding her newly purchased sneakers. Locals came and explained the monkey wanted food in exchange, it was extortion! We had nothing to offer and after a few moments with utter contempt the monkey took a bite out of a sneaker then threw them into in the trees.
The incident left me a little shell shocked and I’ve never felt entirely comfortable with these mangy creatures. When I made the decision to move here last fall I knew I would have to make peace with what I had now dubbed the “monkey mafia”. I witnessed the locals fearless in their approach throwing rocks or waving sticks like these animals were nothing more than crows pecking through garbage. I felt encouraged and began arming myself with rocks whenever they stood between me and my desired destination.
Occasionally sitting in meditation, one or two will come along hesitating when they see me, I make them aware I have weapons and await their response, often they just sit and begin grooming one another glancing in my direction, I let them be and enjoy my time on the discovery channel.  
One day a monkey was startled to find me and bared his teeth, I threw my rock, I missed, he reasserted himself. My arsenal was empty and in hesitation and flight mode I began walking backwards, he took a step towards me; the defenses I had relied on were put to the test and failed. I ran inside, he didn’t follow but my fear did.
I hide behind my partner whenever we encounter monkeys and the other night as we did the parikrama was no exception, I inched closer for shelter as we were scoped out. In an instant a monkey jumped on my friends back stealing his glasses. The beast sat on the roof as we searched our bags for something to offer. My girlfriend began negotiations offering an empty bag, another monkey approached and I found myself walking towards it, putting myself between her and the monkey daring it make a move. I’m not sure what came over me but my instincts to protect my friend were strong. We managed to get the glasses back undamaged, more so I realized fear exists only in our minds and my heart, prompted by my inner warrior, is fearless!

2 comments:

daya saraswati dasi said...

crazy!!! my friend melissa and i almost got attacked in rishikesh by two monkeys. we screamed at them, they screamed back - a man with three donkeys wielding a stick motioned for us to come follow him - i looked back and melissa started going the other way, but i saw more monkeys back on the path - i grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the man with the stick saying - we're going with that guy! he led us out into public and she started to cry (she had also been bitten by a dog and had to get rabies shots - a whole other story). i laughed in a totally nervous way and moments later, we were both laughing. we were told not to yell, but to keep quiet if it ever happened. we also found a very large strong man to walk with over the bridge after the incident and ended up befriending him. that's my monkey story from this trip... am wondering if hanuman was keeping me safe - it could have been much worse... hopefully he was there to protect me in the form of a man with donkeys and a stick:) sending you love... keep writing!!! xo

balanced soul said...

Crazy, were they Reese monkeys? I love the langor monkeys in Rishikesh, we go and feed them often, they are much more friendly!
Looots of love